From Civil Services Examination 2011, Preliminary Examination would consist of Paper I and Paper II.
The syllabus and pattern of the Preliminary Examination would be as under:
Paper I (200 Marks) Duration: Two hours
Last Update Monday 18th October 2010
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on environment ecology, bio-diversity and climate change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science
- Paper II (200 Marks) Duration: Two hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, order of magnitude etc (Class X level), Data Interpretation (Charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
- English Language comprehension skills (Class X level)